Saturday, November 23, 2013

Our Little Marley Mae


On Sunday, June 16th 2013 [Father's Day, holla!], Carson and I welcomed our beautiful baby girl Marley Mae Gentry into our little family. It was the hardest, most rewarding thing I have ever done.



And I will now tell you how it came to pass...

Her due date of June 13th had come and passed and at my check-up I had not progressed very far. My doctor told me that if I didn't go into labor on my own before the next week, he would induce me.

[Little side note: Dr. Stanton Bailey at the Nephi hospital, is the best doctor I have ever had! I highly recommend him and I will be taking the 80 min round trip drive to see him for all my other babies. Bless this man!]

Anyways, back to the story. I woke up Saturday morning and I just knew that I'd be going into labor that day. So I cleaned our room, did laundry, unpacked and repacked my hospital bag, reorganized her clothes and got everything into order.  That's when the contractions started. They weren't very bad. I could definitely talk and walk through them. Half the time I didn't even notice I was having any but could tell because my stomach got really hard. The got progressively more intense but not to the point where I felt a sense of urgency. So we went and visited my family, went shopping and ate dinner. I had been timing my contractions all day and they were ranging from 2-6 minutes apart. The rule of thumb is 5 minutes apart for at least an hour straight before you go to the hospital. So we headed to the hospital. I walked in and said "Um, I think I'm in labor..." I wasn't freaking out, screaming or doubled over in pain and so they looked at me kind of skeptically but admitted me for observation. I was there for a few hours but the monitors weren't picking up any of my contractions I hadn't  progressed at all since arriving so they sent me home.

I went to bed around 11 thinking it was all in my head and I was just overreacting because I was a first time mom. I was actually pretty embarrassed but I still couldn't shake the feeling that she was coming really soon. Super strong contractions woke me up around 2 am. Still no pain but a LOT of pressure. I was able to fall back asleep but woke up an hour later shaking uncontrollably. I threw up and couldn't walk or talk through the contractions so to the hospital we went. This time I couldn't walk so they put me in a wheelchair. I felt kind of smug and if I could have talked, I would have yelled "I told you so!". They got me in a room and checked me. I was at a 6! So I asked for an epidural. Then half an hour later when the anesthesiologist shows up they check me again and I was at an 8. After I got the epi I felt no pain, just pressure, which I loved because then I could really focus on what I was doing. I got to a 9 and my water was about to break when my epidural all of a sudden stopped working. two hours later the anesthesiologist showed up to fix it. During this time the nurses also couldn't get a hold of my wonderful doctor [turns out he was in surgery with one of his patients who had a miscarriage. What did I tell you?! Fabulous guy.] Right when my water broke he walked in the door and we got the show on the road.

I pushed for about 20 min when I heard him tell a nurse to get an O.R. ready. Now, I watch Greys Anatomy so I knew that meant operating room. Yikes, a c-section! I'd seen all the scary stories on Grey's and I did not want that happening to me. [Looking back I realize how ridiculous it was to think but I blame the hormones]. So I pushed as hard as possible during every contraction. Then I heard the baby's heart rate dropping on the monitor. Again all of the Grey's stories ran through my head and I just wanted her out so she could be safe in my arms. So I started pushing even when I didn't have contractions. 5-10 seconds resting 10 seconds pushing. I have never worked harder in my life.

After 45 minutes total of pushing, Marley came out screaming at 12:03 P.M. She was born a whopping 8 lbs 8 oz, 21 inches long, with big lips and tons of hair!


She had some bruising on her face because she was sunny side up and they had to turn her in the birth canal. But she was still so cute, don't cha think? 



She screamed and screamed till they brought her to me. We did skin to skin and I started talking to her and she nuzzled right up and just looked up at me with her big eyes. I have never been so in love so instantly. 

And that my dear friends is the story of  how my baby girl made her entrance into the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment